St. Brigids Hospital

St. Brigids Hospital

Front of St. Brigids Hospital Ballinasloe.
The Connaught Asylum
St Brigid’s Mental Hospital was opened as the Connaught Asylum in 1833 with accommodation for 150 patients. The date is inscribed above the door in Roman numerals. The building is shown on the first edition Ordnance Survey map, surveyed in 1837. The cost of building was £27,000. It remained the Connaught Asylum until 1850, when the Sligo Asylum was built to cater for the counties of Sligo and Leitrim, and it was then renamed Ballinasloe District Asylum, to serve the counties of Galway and Roscommon only
Ref:
Date:
Location:
Photographer:
Robert Riddell
St. Brigids Hospital

St. Brigids Hospital

Front of St. Brigids Hospital Ballinasloe.
The Connaught Asylum
St Brigid’s Mental Hospital was opened as the Connaught Asylum in 1833 with accommodation for 150 patients. The date is inscribed above the door in Roman numerals. The building is shown on the first edition Ordnance Survey map, surveyed in 1837. The cost of building was £27,000. It remained the Connaught Asylum until 1850, when the Sligo Asylum was built to cater for the counties of Sligo and Leitrim, and it was then renamed Ballinasloe District Asylum, to serve the counties of Galway and Roscommon only
Ref:
Date:
Location:
Photographer:
Robert Riddell