Murrisk Abbey

Murrisk Abbey

Murrisk Abbey was founded circa 1456 by the Augustinian Friars because “the inhabitants of those parts have not hitherto been instructed in their faith.” It quickly became the preferred starting point for pilgrimages up Croagh Patrick. Before then, pilgrims approached the mountain from AnTóchar Phádraig, which starts in Aughagower. The ruins consist of an L-shaped building representing the long and narrow church, the sacristy and the chapter room with overhead dormitory. There is a beautiful east window with carved human heads on the wall outside. The south wall is crowned with unusual battlements and a number of trefoil and ogee-headed windows. There was a belfry tower at the west end of the church, inserted after the church itself was completed. However, the church outlived its new addition; all that survives of this tower now is a ribbed vault.
Ref:
Date:
Location:
Photographer:
Robert Riddell
Murrisk Abbey

Murrisk Abbey

Murrisk Abbey was founded circa 1456 by the Augustinian Friars because “the inhabitants of those parts have not hitherto been instructed in their faith.” It quickly became the preferred starting point for pilgrimages up Croagh Patrick. Before then, pilgrims approached the mountain from AnTóchar Phádraig, which starts in Aughagower. The ruins consist of an L-shaped building representing the long and narrow church, the sacristy and the chapter room with overhead dormitory. There is a beautiful east window with carved human heads on the wall outside. The south wall is crowned with unusual battlements and a number of trefoil and ogee-headed windows. There was a belfry tower at the west end of the church, inserted after the church itself was completed. However, the church outlived its new addition; all that survives of this tower now is a ribbed vault.
Ref:
Date:
Location:
Photographer:
Robert Riddell